Outreach & Education
Fair Trade Ambassador Program
For several months during the school year, Ambassadors are immersed in the triumphs and challenges of Fair Trade. They meet monthly to learn; volunteer in the store; and share what they are learning at their respective schools. Throughout its history, this program has touched the minds and hearts of over 70 participants. We hope that what our Ambassadors learn and experience at Just Creations will spark a passion for social and economic justice and a life-long commitment to Fair Trade! Click here to learn more.
Our Fair Trade Ambassador Program, started in 2007, provides experiential education in Fair Trade to selected high school students. Our hope is that they will develop an enduring commitment to Fair Trade and its principles, and in turn educate their peers.
A group of juniors is selected each fall from area high schools. The students volunteer in the store, attend coursework sessions on Fair Trade topics, give a presentation at their school, and at the end of the program, go on a trip to visit other Fair Trade organizations in the region.
According to one of our Ambassadors after she completed the program, “The experience has been the most valuable of my high school years for it has shaped the person I wish to become.”
This program received the 2010 Best Public Education Program award from the Fair Trade Federation!
In 2017, Just Creations introduced the Llama League, the Club for Kids grades K-5. With Louie the Llama as its mascot, the Llama League offers opportunities for children and their families to engage in activities at Just Creations, learn about Fair Trade, and connect with cultures around the world. Highlights of the first year included a Birthday Club; tie-dying, blockprinting, and quilting at our Textiles of the World event; and the Llamarama, a special holiday shopping event just for kids.
Summer Passport Adventure – Take a journey around the world, get your passport stamped, and be eligible for prizes!
- June – “Where’s Louie?” Scavenger Hunt. Louie’s hiding throughout the store and needs to be found. Come any day in June, help find Louie, then claim your reward for a job well done!
- July – Textiles of the World Event – Saturday, July 20, 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Try your hand a variety of art forms, including batik, block printing, and upcycling.
- August – Nature Day at Just Creations – Saturday, August 3, 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Make a natural birdfeeder and participate in other activities.
- School Supply Collection to benefit Americana Community Center. We’ll be accepting donations from August 5-17 of the following supplies: Mechanical pencils and lead; pencils, markers, colored pencils; binder paper and graphing paper; flash drives.
- Saturday, August 17, from 11:00-3:00 p.m. Make a one-of-a-kind zipper pull for your backpack. Head back to school in Fair Trade style!
Llamarama – Sunday, November 24, 1:00 – 5:00 p.m. Don’t miss this special shopping event just for kids!
Just Creations relies on volunteers to assist with the daily operations of the store including unpacking, pricing and stocking merchandise, as well as providing quality customer service. We ask that volunteers work a minimum of 4-8 hours a month, and attend a New Volunteer Orientation before starting. The minimum age to volunteer is 16.
Volunteering at Just Creations provides an opportunity to make a difference around the world without leaving home!
Learn more about volunteering at Just Creations by contacting 897-7319 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Volunteer Orientation sessions are generally held on the last Monday of the month. Contact the store to confirm the date.